You Said We Did
We asked, You Said, We did
Bicycle Thefts - We Asked
What are your concerns in your community?
Bicycle Thefts - You Said
An increase in bicycle thefts in the Ashington area.
Bicycle Thefts - We Did
• Officers have been carrying out high visibility and plain clothes patrols in targeted areas.
• Patrolling officers and Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) are pro-actively stopping bicycles and carrying out stolen property checks to identify and recover stolen bicycles.
• Bike marking events have been held within the community to mark property. This helps identify stolen bicycles and makes sure they are returned to their owners as well as increasing arrest opportunities.
• A recent operation involving the use of undercover officers and covert CCTV has been carried out to target bike theft.
• A local authority funding bid has been submitted for bike locks which will be distributed to local residents to help prevent offending.
• Search warrants have been executed at suspected thieves and known handlers' addresses in response to information from the community.
• Crime prevention literature has been distributed.
Bike thefts have reduced but continue to be a focus for officers in the area.