Statement in relation to planned protest in Sunderland
05 Oct 2017 14:00 PM[View Full Size]
Northumbria Police is aware of a planned protest taking place in Sunderland on October 14. Today, Chief Superintendent Ged Noble has made the below statement.
Chief Supt Ged Noble, of Northumbria Police, said: “We are aware there is a planned protest in Sunderland over the weekend of 14th October.
“This is despite the conclusion of the victim’s right to review process, following an investigation into allegations of a rape in Peel Street last September.
“The right to review process meant that all the evidence presented to the CPS from the Police was reviewed by an independent prosecutor, who was not previously associated with the case. The complainant’s legal representative has met with the CPS to discuss this outcome and the complainant has had this presented in writing.
“Northumbria Police has completed an extensive investigation, conducted extensive forensic examinations, taken numerous witness statements and reviewed comprehensive CCTV footage.
“The evidence that was presented and considered by the CPS simply does not substantiate claims that have been made. This has been independently reviewed and now all legal avenues of appeal have been exhausted.
“It has been said that prosecutions were not pursued because of political correctness. This could not be further from the truth.
“We have shown through Operation Sanctuary that we will take all necessary measures to protect vulnerable people and will continue to do so.
“These protests cannot change the legal position and are being driven by individuals who are fully aware of this.
“Therefore the motives of those individuals must now be called into question.”