Dated: 27 Oct 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your letter received 11 May 2016 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. A current and valid calibration certificate specific to the camera at A184 Felling Bypass Burlison, Gateshead.
2. After the camera has been returned following calibration please confirm if, apart from the calibration certificate, Gatsometer B.V provide a report on any faults detected and items replaced and, if so, please identify the items and what dates they were replaced, including batteries, that have required replacement.
3. After calibration, please confirm if the cameras are returned with a shutter speed of two photographs at intervals of 0.5 seconds, and if your Camera Enforcement Officers make any adjustments to the shutter speed or flash setting prior to reinstallation and, if so, what are the setting adjustments?.
4.Regarding the secondary check viewing, please advise how the viewing staff are trained for their task, who does the training, are certificates of completion provided, and are the staff given post training assessments or hard copy reference documentation.
5. Is the work of the viewing staff audited or reviewed at intervals?
6. Please confirm the distance between the calibrated lines on the road which are part of the secondary check, so that one can calculate the speed if five lines are passed.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. See below attached
2. They return a fully calibrated camera ready for next 12 months
3. After calibration the shutter speed is set on first deployment - the delay is set to 0.5 seconds
4. Technicians are fully trained by the manufactures. This training is cascaded down to Fixed Penalty Unit (FPU) staff. The secondary checks use mathematical equations and measurements which are easily calculated. FPU staff received full training in reading the Red Speed system.
5. The system is dip sampled by the Unit Sergeant for resilience.
6. Front edge to front edge or outer edge to outer edge spaced at 5 ft intervals
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.