Firearms licensing - 812/16
Dated: 27 Jul 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 14 July 2016 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
Please provide the following information in respect of the year 2015-16
1. The average time taken to process the grant of a new firearms certificate.
2. The average time taken to process the renewal of a firearms certificate.
3. The average time taken to process the grant of a new shot gun certificate.
4. The average time taken to process the renewal of a shot gun certificate.
5. Whether the applicant’s cheque is cashed at the time of application or at the time the certificate is despatched.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Firearms Licensing Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. 49 days
2. 39 days
3. 53 days
4. 40 days
5. Application cheques are collected on a monthly basis and banked accordingly.
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.