Firearms licensing - 236/17
Dated: 08 Mar 2017
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 27 February 2017 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. How many Section 7 Temporary Permits are currently issued to certificate holders as a result of renewals not being processed before the certificate expired?
2. How many Section 7 Temporary Permits, distinguishing between firearm certificates and shot gun certificates, were issued in 2016?
3. How many certificate holders are currently in possession of firearms/shot guns without a certificate because their certificate has expired and no Section 7 Temporary Permit has been issued?
4. What is the average turnaround time, expressed in working days, that it takes the department from receipt of applications to issue of the certificate for the following four licences?
a. Shotgun Licence Grant
b. Shotgun Licence Renewal
c. Firearm Licence Grant
d. Firearm Licence Renewal
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Firearms Licensing Unit of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
Firearm - 18
8 issued to allow for the disposal of firearm’s on cancellation of a certificate
8 issued to authorise temporary possession by a relative of a deceased certificate holder
2 issued whilst enquiries were on-going in relation to good reason to possess
Shotgun - 17
6 issued to allow for the disposal of shotguns on cancellation of a certificate
5 issued to authorise temporary possession by a relative of a deceased certificate holder
6 issued whilst enquiries were on-going in relation to good reason to possess
4. Search parameters for average date of completion for applications received between 01/12/2016 and 01/02/2017:
a. Shotgun Licence Grant - 34 days
b. Shotgun Licence Renewal - 39 days
c. Firearm Licence Grant - 28 days
d. Firearm Licence Renewal - 34 days
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.