Arrests and training - 906/13
Dated: 15 Jan 2014
Date of request: 25/11/2013
Date of response: 15/01/2014
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')(FOIA)
Thank you for your email dated 25 November 2013 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
Please can I request the following information about the new amendments to the Protection from Harassment Act that were brought in across England and Wales on 25th November 2012.
There are two new amendments; section 2A stalking and section 4A stalking.
1 - How many people have been arrested under the new amendments – a) section 2A and b) section 4A - of the Protection from Harassment Act for each month between 25th November 2012 and 24thNovember 2013?
In each case please state i) the date of the arrest ii) the gender of the person arrested.
Please give a breakdown of gender.
2 - How many members of staff who are eligible for training on understanding the new amendments: section 2A stalking and section 4A stalking, have received that training?
To clarify ‘eligible for training – Association of Chief Police Officers have said not all police officers come into contact with victims of stalking so therefore not all need to be trained. So I would like to know out of all the staff at Northumbria police who should be trained in the new stalking laws, how many actually have been trained up? Data parameters for training completion – start to end.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Crime and HR Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I have today decided to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. a) There have been 9 x Section 2A Arrests in the time period specified, these are broken down as follows:
F - 29/01/2013
M - 29/01/2013
M - 11/05/2013
M - 12/05/2013
M - 21/05/2013
F - 10/07/2013
M - 23/08/2013
M - 16/10/2013
b) There have been 4 x Section 4A Arrests in the time period specified, these are broken down as follows:
M - 23/12/2012
M - 16/01/2013
M - 31/01/2013
M - 03/10/2013
2. The target audience for Stalking and Harassment training is 2898 (including police officers and staff). As at 27th November 2013 a total of 2537 (88% of the target audience) have received Stalking and Harassment training. A rolling programme of training delivery will continue for the remaining 361 (12% of the target audience) who have not yet completed this training. Completion is expected by the end of the financial year.
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.
How to complain
If you are unhappy with our decision or do not consider that we have handled your request properly and we are unable to resolve this issue informally, you are entitled to make a formal complaint to us under our complaints procedure which can be found at: http://www.northumbria.police.uk/foi/disclosurelog/foicomprights.asp
If you are still unhappy after we have investigated your complaint and reported to you the outcome, you may complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office and request that they investigate to ascertain whether we have dealt with your request in accordance with the Act.