Dated: 16 Sep 2015
NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED
POLICY TITLE: Simple Cautions
OWNING DIRECTORATE: Prosecution Support, Crime Department
AUTHOR: David Heslop, Head of Prosecution Support
CONTACT DETAILS: Ext 63608
EQUALITY IMPACT ASSESSMENT: Complete
AUTHORISED PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE (APP) NATIONAL GUIDANCE: AVAILABLE
AIM OF POLICY: To deal quickly and simply with less serious offenders, to divert them from an unnecessary appearance in the criminal courts, and to reduce the chances of their re-offending.
BENEFIT OF POLICY: Improved working practices within the Criminal Justice System.
REASON FOR POLICY: Force policy has been determined after consideration of the guidance contained in the Home Office Circular (HOC) 16/2008.
DESCRIPTION OF POLICY:
Northumbria Police continues to support the principle of adult cautioning, the aim of which is:
- to deal quickly and simply with less serious offenders;
- to divert them from an unnecessary appearance in the criminal courts; and
- to reduce the chances of their re-offending.
Force policy has been determined after consideration of the guidance contained in HOC 16/2008. The Northumbria Police policy is as follows:
- To make objective, consistent and effective disposal decisions for adult offenders;
- To retain the confidence of the public and the courts in cautioning as an effective diversion from prosecution, by administering Simple Cautions only where the appropriate criteria is met;
- To bring criminal charges only where both the evidence is sufficient and the public interest requires it;
- To ensure that offenders pass through the Criminal Justice System quickly and equitably; and
- To maintain inter-agency monitoring, to provide regular feedback to Criminal Justice agencies and the public about the operation of the scheme.
SOURCE DOCUMENT: HOC 16/2008.
GROUPS AFFECTED: All staff.
ACCESS AND DISCLOSURE RESTRICTIONS: None.